Even though 2020 was a very gloomy, depressing year, here are eight things that happened then that shone a light through the darkness and made me feel thankful.
1. Parasite winning the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best International Film.
2. Telkomsel and IndiHome (finally!) enabling access to Netflix, after years of resistance.
3. These various acts by humankind to show their supports for one another:
– The mass balcony singalong in Italy
– This protest dance by Jo’Artis Ratti that was created in solidarity for the Black Lives Matter movement
– The concert for plants in Barcelona
4. Finding out that humans have the extraordinary capability to produce a vaccine for an entirely new disease in such a short amount of time.
5. The rise of girl bosses.
6. Wind of Change; a podcast perfect for those who enjoy the topics of war, propaganda and music. One of the more standout products made during the COVID-19 pandemic.
7. Dionne Warwick’s personal Twitter account. Nothing beats the absurdity of an elderly lady who was only recently taught how to use Twitter by her nieces and nephews, and have her charming tweets go viral. Especially if that lady is a legendary singer.
8. Major museums around the world offering virtual tours (and occasional free workshops) during the pandemic.
© copyright 2020 Printscreen